Tuesday 25 August 2015

Why do I write? Maria Smith

An August Blog Event - Leicester Writers

There are so many Leicester writers that if I were to include them all it would take me a good year at least. I've tried to fit in as many as I could in a month and apologies to those who have been omitted. Today please give yet another warm welcome to my friend and penultimate guest, Maria Smith:

I don’t make my living from writing, and presently have nothing to sell. I put words on paper, I’m writing a novel, and who knows one day I might even finish it! I pen short pieces, and enter writing competitions, and sometimes if I’m lucky, I’m successful, and I win. One of my stories was made into a short film, and I’ve had articles accepted in magazines too.

I’m on Twitter, and along with another writer we started #writingchat on Wednesday evenings, where writers drop in and join the discussion on a topic of interest for an hour.

If you visit Leicester, you’ll maybe catch me scribbling in Costa Coffee by the clock tower, or Curve CafĂ© in the cultural quarter. I do write about the city, I use many locations in my writing, and yes, I people watch, and have been known to find my characters amongst the locals.

Why do I write? It’s not that I don’t value my work. Of course it’s lovely to receive payment for my words. I could give you lots of answers to that question. I write to escape, to go wherever I desire, or I write because I want to go on the journey.


Mostly though, I write because it’s fun!


Maria Smith blogs at First Draft Cafe

My next and final Leicester Writer Visitor will be Siobhan Logan